Oatmeal on a cold morning is a personal favorite. I’ve seen a ton of recipes for Crockpot oatmeal and finally decided to try it. I’ve tried my own version and it’s worked well on the first try! The steel-cut oats give the oatmeal fabulous texture and the old-fashioned oats provide the creaminess that’s perfectly soothing on a cold morning. Make in the evening and wake up to a perfect breakfast.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats ( I used McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats ( I used Old Fashioned Quaker Oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Golden raisins (optional)
- Warmed, light cream (optional)
Find a ovenproof bowl that will fit inside your Crockpot with some space around it. Fill the Crockpot with water to half full. Place the empty bowl in the Crockpot.
- Blend the water, oats and salt in the bowl.
- Turn the Crockpot on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Serve with maple syrup, raisins and cream if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Notes: Yes, the oatmeal can be made by incorporating dried fruit like dates, apricot and cranberries in the cooking process, but the above is the purist’s version.