January 11, 2010
The 2009 Chickie Award contest featuring top recipes for 2009 has selected its winner:
Manicotti with Red Sauce submitted by Annelle Williams of Annelle’s Table from Martinsville, VA. Annelle wins a $100 Visa Gift Card.
The following recipes made the final list for consideration:
Thanks to everyone who participated and start thinking about your entry for 2010!
Happy New Year!
January 5, 2010
I was sitting at my office in Manhattan working on year-end numbers going more and more blind by the minute when the friendly Fedex guy arrived bringing me the bottle of 2007 Dingac Winery Plavac Peljesac Peninsula I’d ordered and sort of forgotten about. How sweet is that? I can’t wait to try this red from Croatia.
I went back to work when the UPS guy showed up with a @wine_com holiday gift from my boss, a 2004 Château Pavie Decesse Saint-Emilion Grand Cru! What special occasion will I save this little 91 Points WS gem for? I’ll think of something.
January 3, 2010
In early December, we asked you to post a link to the recipe on your website/blog that you consider to be your best of 2009 to get a chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card. The following recipes made the final list for consideration:
- Manicotti with Red Sauce: http://bit.ly/56V524 @Annellini
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Chicken: http://bit.ly/6XKZxa @jdecurtins
- Stuffed Black Bean Poblano Peppers: http://bit.ly/6jW9BD @Butterflytown
- Swordfish with ginger and lemon sauce: http://bit.ly/8aIr6b @spa_eastman
- Red Thai Shrimp with Coconut Lime Dulce de Leche Dipping Sauce: http://bit.ly/8bNhCd @thegourmetgirl
- Sticky Chickie!: http://bit.ly/6Ejpw2 @locodiner
- Baklava: http://bit.ly/8vYgos @kalofagas
- Tortilla Chicken Soup: http://bit.ly/8N84Mt @TheNoviceChef
- Matzo Ball Soup: http://bit.ly/5P1Moj @WarrenBobrow1
Be a guest judge in the selection of the winner! By 1/10/10, post a comment on Facebook or my blog to tell us which recipe you believe should hold the title of 2009 Chickie Award Winner!
December 31, 2009
Just signed up for Technorati!
December 29, 2009
Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label
The following is my January 2010 entry into Wine Whore Wednesday. On Twitter? Be sure to follow Randy @thewinewhore
Question: What’s that one bottle of wine that changed your life? Explain how!
I’m Canadian, so beer drinking is sort of second nature to me, and what I’ve done since my teen years (yes, you can legally drink at 18 in Canada). Wine was never really my thing until my 21st birthday.
For my 21st birthday, I had a huge South Florida pool party with tons of food, friends and adult beverages. A friend of mine brought a case of Veuve Clicquot to pop for the occasion. Not sure if it was the wine itself or the fun of celebrating with some bubbly, but I was hooked. From that day forward, I’ve wanted to experience all sorts of wine and to learn as much about pairing it with food (my other passion) as possible.
December 29, 2009
They say a banana is the world’s most perfect food, but a soft-boiled egg with the right seasoning and a dollop of mayo might just be ‘it’ for me.
- Place room-temperature egg in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water so there’s about 1-inch of water above the egg.
- Put saucepan over high heat. Allow to come to a boil, then immediately remove from heat. Allow eggs to stand in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain hot water and place the egg on an egg cup or small saucer.
- Cut a small ‘cap’ off the top of the egg, exposing some of the soft yolk.
- Season with sea salt, cracked pepper and a small dollop of mayonnaise.