This spreadable meat dish is similar to pâté but with more texture. Cretons are a very typical eastern Canada dish served at breakfast time on toasted bread. Cretons are sometimes also served on a cheese platter.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal
- 2 onions finely minced
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope flavorless gelatin
- Place all the ingredients (except gelatin) in a heavy saucepan. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for one hour, stirring often. Turn off heat.
- Mash down the mixture with a hand potato masher to a coarse consistency.
- Incorporate the gelatin to the mixture.
- Cool completely, then stir the mixture. Put mixture in small containers and refrigerate or freeze.
Will last in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or up to 3 months in the freezer.