- 2-750 ml bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 2 cups ruby Port
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large shallot, peeled, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 6-pound boneless prime rib beef roast
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 tsp. thyme in a large nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. Strain.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 tsp. thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour. Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted in center registers 118 F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.
Pour all of the fat from the roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to the pan and bring to a boil, scrapping up any brown bits. Season with salt and pepper. Pour jus into a sauce boat. Carve beef and serve.