Mirin ¾ cup
Sake ½ cup
White miso paste 2 cups
Sugar 1 cup
Black cod fillets, ½ lb. each 4
Hajikami stalks 4
1. Heat mirin and sake to boil in saucepan over high heat; boil 20 seconds to evaporate alcohol.
2. Reduce heat and add miso paste. Stir, increase heat and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Cool.
3. Pat cod fillets dry and coat with miso mixture. Marinate 2 to 3 days, refrigerated.
4. Lightly wipe off miso but do not rinse. Put under broiler or hot grill until surface browns. Remove to preheated 400F oven and cook until done.
5. Place fish on plates and garnish with hajikami and miso mixture
Yield: 4 servings
From “Nobu: The Cookbook,” Nobuyuki Matsuhisa (Kodansha International, 2001)